[Nottingham] query on new laptop

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Wed Jul 14 12:53:57 UTC 2010

Yeah the MX440 is very much unsupported due to age these days on the
commercial drivers. To be honest, you would quite likely get equal
performance from the open source 3d drivers for nvidia for that age of
card.

There ARE drivers on the nvidia site

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/content/license/driver_license.aspx?language=en&url=http://uk.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.11/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run

but I doubt they would compile against a modern kernel, as the kernel
API changes way too regularly for driver interface stability if you ask
me... They were last changed in 2007, so if you are happy with a 3 year
old kernel, you should be OK, otherwise, I think you'll have to fiddle -
probably a lot.

Michael Simms, CEO - Tux Games LTD
http://www.tuxgames.com