[Nottingham] Gentoo convert 32bits system to 64bits?...

James of the Family Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 22 23:31:04 UTC 2010

On 23/07/2010 00:09, Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm sure this is going to be a good one...
>
> I've transplanted a 32bits Gentoo system from some very old hardware
> onto new 64bits hardware. So... Can that now be recompiled for the 64bits?
>
> Yes?
>
> Or impossible?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

I should think so, though it does carry the risk of updating a kernel as
per usual, with a sick little twist. You will have to update your kernel
extensions to 64-bit as well, otherwise these will just not work. If you
can build a 64-bit toolchain in a native 64-bit environment (with 64-bit
userland as well) and export it, you might find life easier during
transition. A lot of the userland stuff that did run in 32-bit you might
find no longer works in the new kernelspace. I do know from upgrading a
Debian box (from Knoppix 6.1) that qt and Firefox break with some
interesting errors.