[Nottingham] Gentoo convert 32bits system to 64bits?...

Roger Light roger at atchoo.org
Fri Jul 23 08:01:46 UTC 2010

Hi Martin,

> I've transplanted a 32bits Gentoo system from some very old hardware
> onto new 64bits hardware. So... Can that now be recompiled for the 64bits?

I'd certainly give it a try! :) My bet would be that you may need more
than one stage, depending on whether you want to end up with both 32
and 64 bit libraries installed. If you enable the "multilib" use
variable (which may actually be down to which profile you use) then
both 32 and 64 bit libraries get compiled. This means your existing
binaries can still reference the 32 bit libraries until they
themselves are recompiled for 64 bit. There's a risk that the 32 bit
libraries will end up in /usr/lib32 rather than /usr/lib, but I
suppose if you tweak /etc/ld.so.conf that should be alright.

Cheers,

Roger