[Nottingham] Automaticly emailing documents

James Holland modestforagenius at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 09:44:56 UTC 2010

If the table is a standard, comma or space separated value, like this:
filename, email
filename, email
filename, email

or something else consistent.

You can use a scripting tool called Awk to separate the contents, and pipe
the output to another program.
Unfortunately, I don't know if there's a program to email from the terminal
(I'm assuming there is)

But the English-pseudocode would be like this:
Awk: "For every line, take the 'first bit', then take the 'second bit' "
Awk: "Hey, email program. Please attach 'first bit' to an email and send it
to 'second bit'"

If you send a small example of how the table is layed out, I could probably
help you a lot better!

On 3 June 2010 10:36, m1eai <m1eai at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> Quick question to see if anyone has encountered this problem before.  I
> have a directory of spreadsheets produced by are accounts system and the
> accounts department want to automaticly send out these emails to a list of
> people.  Each of the spreadsheets has a unique and consistent name so has
> anyone seen a program that can read a file name, look it up in a table and
> email that file someone in a look up table.  Or is there a simple way to do
> it with scripts.
>
> Andy Beale

R. James Holland
0115 9 509 789