[Nottingham] Maillist notes

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Thu Jun 3 15:30:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 16:19 +0100, Michael Simms wrote:
> Actually the more I think about it...

That was quick :)

> Trimming messages...
> OK, sounds fine, in the days of 300 baud modems.
<snip>

Non-trimmed messages, especially those which contain a single line at
the very end or the very top of yesterday's list digest (being the most
extreme yet a very common example) look bloody awful in list archives.
They make things difficult to read, can make searching practically
impossible - especially in the digest case - and make web copies of the
archive almost unusable.

> As such, if the mailing list server is screwing up headers and
> mimetypes

That's the more important question. The lug,org.uk list server seems to
be choking on multipart messages, reassembling the headers in an unusual
order (the Received: block should be contiguous with no other headers in
the middle) and inserting superfluous MIME headers into parts of the
message they shouldn't be in.

Instead of beating it here, this needs flagging to the lug.org.uk
postmaster. Of course, we've all done that, right?

Graeme

PS no I haven't.