[Nottingham] Maillist notes

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Thu Jun 3 15:19:50 UTC 2010

Actually the more I think about it...

Trimming messages...
OK, sounds fine, in the days of 300 baud modems. Today, your emails that
are trimmed to, well lets say this one were I to trim off the crud, it
would save 1056 bytes, which on the slowest modern internet connection
is about 0.004 seconds of downloading. As opposed to the 20 seconds it
would take me to trim. Not very efficient. And if you are top-posting,
as I obviously advocate, it is completely unnecessary too, as you wont
see the excess.

For the text-only posting...
Now, I for one always post text, simply because I prefer it. And I find
fluffy pink HTML emails with flower logos quite cloying. But again, it
is part of the mail standard and most email readers will parse the text
alternative portion that most mail composers create automatically.

As such, if the mailing list server is screwing up headers and
mimetypes, you cant just say 'well just use a subset of the email system
because our system can handle that' - cos that just smells of a broken
mailing list system. Surely that should be fixed. Ir should we all go
back to older technology every time there is a bug in new* technology.
Afterall if a mail server forgot to parse emails and add a > infront of
the word From in each email at the start of a line, that would have the
same effect as bad headers, would it then be the right answer to stop
using the word From in emails?

Michael Simms, CEO - Tux Games LTD
http://www.tuxgames.com

* 10+ year old