[Nottingham] Wave

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Sun Jun 6 17:03:30 UTC 2010

I think there are some things sort of half-implemented in email that
we take for granted, and wave tries to complete them - like identity
management. When you get identity, trust and contact management right,
spam falls off as a side effect.

The most exciting part of wave, for me, was the instantaneous
collaboration. So instead of the thought of reading posts that people
wrote a while ago, and composing then submitting a reply, it could be
more like chatting around the same computer. Not ideal for everything
but I bet it would fit in with online meetings, electronic
whiteboards, the stuff of modern agile methodologies. In some ways it
could be as much of a change as moving from daily snail mail
deliveries to realtime email - as big a productivity improvement.

Sadly I still haven't seen Wave used for anything meaningful yet but I
live in hope! Now that it's open to all I might try and get work
colleagues interested...

I was under the impression that the key parts of the Wave
implementation had been open sourced - not that there are any
competing implementations but I got the impression that it defused the
'all our eggs in Google's basket' argument.

-Cam