[Nottingham] Changing OSx for Linux

ForkBombFluf fluf at freeshell.org
Mon Jun 21 09:57:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010, Benjamin Crowe wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I have recently started using my old PPC eMac G4 again. I am currently
> running 10.4 on it but I find due to the lack of available memory (after the
> os has eaten up most of it) it is really slow and online videos like youtube
> are very stuttered. Is there any distro of linux I could use as a os on this
> mac??
>
> Cheers
> Ben

Hey Ben,

There are still PPC ports of Ubuntu available,

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

If you're more of an RPM-tree fan, I've heard good things about Yellow Dog
too, (though I haven't actually run it before)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Dog_Linux

I'm sure there are still others around as well, but hopefully that'll get
you started.

Cheers,

-Stef