[Nottingham] Changing OSx for Linux

James of the Family Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 21 20:43:47 UTC 2010

On 21/06/2010 21:22, Joshua Lock wrote:

> If I remember correctly from my iBook owning days the airport cards
> are Broadcom based.

I had a G4 iBook, you would be right: the Airport Extreme is Broadcom based.

> If so you'll need some extra firmware which is reasonably easily
> acquired, there always used to be plenty of documentation for this a
> short Google away.
>
> If you go for Yellowdog I'd be surprised if there installation didn't
> handle this, as iirc the class of hardware you have is their target
> market.

<snipped>

Again, right: Yellowdog installs without the need for a firmware update
to get the Airport working. I had some trouble getting the Airport
working under Debian/PPC, I can't remember if it necessitated a firmware
update but I did eventually get it sort of working (it wouldn't connect
to my Belkin router, that might have been down to the router)

Cheers

Jim