[Nottingham] Location tracking "services"...

James of the Family Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 30 00:21:10 UTC 2010

I missed the start of this thread I think... but the fact of the matter
is, you don't need a GPS receiver to use a phone as a locator. They've
been doing it for years, without low-orbit satellites: cellular
triangulation and signal locking. The system is more accurate than GPS,
so much so in fact they've used it in criminal court to relate a
real-time record of where a particular handset has been, down to three
feet and the second, using logs from six months previous (data retention
is obviously very good as well). They really need to just open up that
system rather than add more electronics to a technology  that's getting
unnecessarily bulky again with other gear it doesn't really need. That's
just my opinion, ICBW.