[Nottingham] Cheapie GPS

Dave daveluff at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 9 19:49:50 UTC 2010

Wow, that's cheap!

What timing do you need for an ntp time source?  Whenever I've used GPS
to time external events, I've used a GPS module that has a pulse per
second output, which is precisely aligned with GPS time.  Then the
timing accuracy is dependent on the interupt latency and the oscillator
stability of the hardware you are interfacing it with.  I doubt very
much whether you get a PPS output from a very low cost module like that,
and certainly not over bluetooth.  But you might not need that accuracy?

For location mapping, I'll stick my neck out and hazard a guess that
with a good clear view of the sky you'd get horizontal accuracy within
10m - 15m most of the time.  Probably better than that.

Have fun!

Cheers - Dave