[Nottingham] Ubuntu, nvidia and biggish screen

Simon Osborne flibble at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 17:15:26 UTC 2010

Hi David,

On 18 March 2010 17:10, David Aldred <david at familyaldred.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> Before I go and spend money, does anyone know of any reason why a 1920 x 1080
> screen should have any issues on Linux with a (fairly old) NVidia based
> graphics card (GeForce7600)?  (Distro is Ubuntu, but I'm musing on switching
> back to Sidux - both are Debian based)
>
> I don't see why it shouldn't handle it, but better to find out first....

With the Nvidia closed-source binary drivers, this resolution should
work fine. You can select the graphics mode using nvidia-settings if
Ubuntu doesn't offer it in it's own display settings.

I'm not sure if the Nouveau drivers support the resolution but I don't
see any reason why it wouldn't.

Simon