[Nottingham] Ubuntu, nvidia and biggish screen

James of the family Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 19 00:30:00 UTC 2010

I have a Xerox 22" widescreen which shows 1920x1080 as the native
resolution. It works fine at 1600x1200 with no panover and no border,
and with such a minor variation in aspect ratio it's not even
noticeable... everything's still sharp and movies look as they should.
I'm putting it through a NVidia GeForce 6200V+ (even older than your
card!).

On 3/18/10, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
> David Aldred wrote:
>> Hi, all
>>
>> Before I go and spend money, does anyone know of any reason why a 1920 x
>> 1080
>> screen should have any issues on Linux with a (fairly old) NVidia based
>> graphics card (GeForce7600)?  (Distro is Ubuntu, but I'm musing on
>> switching
> [---]
>
> I'm using that on an nVidia card fine with Mandriva.
>
> Check the specs for your card?
>
> The only hiccup you might have is if your new monitor is not listed in
> the Xorg monitors list AND the plug'n'play doesn't work AND the monitor
> isn't happy with the default settings for that resolution.
>
> In other words, you should be fine!
>

> Have fun!
> Martin
>
> --