[Nottingham] [Talk] *Tomorrow* Wednesday 05/05/2010 Linux hints 'n' tips 'n' bits

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue May 4 12:56:24 UTC 2010

Folks,

Oh noooo... A chance stumble into the world of Youtube and a few minutes
later... And...

The next talk/discussion *tomorrow* covers:

Linux hints 'n' tips 'n' bits

Or how to make Linux and the Linux desktops easy to use.

If you have any irksome annoyances with using Linux, or indeed if you
have any 'neat tricks' for how you use Linux, then this night is the night!

And for a thoughtful aside for later for 'what next' for the GUI:
There's some really 'groovy' GUI stuff, and from some time ago now...
But why do some of us still spend most of our time on a text terminal
harking back to the very dawn of computing?

For example:

A "3d" desktop from 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9R5kEy_nJ4

A curious alternative now bought out by Google:

BumpTop 3D Desktop Prototype - www.bumptop.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ

2006: 3D Desktop! TouchScreen and XGL on Linux!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9FgLr9oTk

And a multitouch panel display from 2007:

Jeff Han demonstarting an advanced touch manipulated user interface
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr_RgOTum3M

2010 and we have...?

Or is the next jump the totally immersive interface of The Matrix?...

(Sorry, the planned website bashing for this month has slipped a little
until I can get to do some website bashing!)

All at our usual Navvy to also navigate a few stories and a few beers:

The Navigation

http://www.lock6.co.uk/

*WEDNESDAY* 05/05/2010

Meet:	19:30
(in the bar somewhere - look for penguins or just shout "where's NLUG!")

Talk/Questions/Discussion:	20:00
(in the room upstairs)

Beers and Linux and other topics until 23:00

The Navigation Inn
6 Wilford Street
Nottingham
NG2 1AA
Tel: 0115 9417139

http://www.pub-explorer.com/notts/pub/navigationinnnottingham.htm
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=52.948&lon=-1.1518&scale=10000&icon=x

We head up to the large room upstairs at round abouts 8pm.

They have real ale, food, and free WiFi access to the world!

To find us, just look for any penguins or a cluster of netbooks :-)
Or ask the friendly bar staff.

All welcome,

See ya there,

GUI: Graphical User Interface