[Nottingham] Arduino hardware ideas

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Tue May 4 19:19:24 UTC 2010

Martin wrote:
>> Building something like this with a primary school
>> would be a great way to get kids interested in
>> computers at an early age, and to understand
>> they're not just unfathomable beige boxen :-)
>
> I very much agree.
>
> Unfortunately from my experiences, the hardest part will be to get the
> teachers educated enough and motivated enough to even dare touch such a
> thing... There's far too much bewilderment, fright and confusion about
> operating PCs let alone anything computingly different to that...

Agreed - but primary schools now bring in outside
speakers for one afternoon a week, iirc, so there's
definitely scope for bringing in computer topics.

My other idea was to develop a playground game where
the kids get to be bits of information, and have to
move around the registers, ALU, etc. I just need
an unobtainable amount of spare time to work down my todo
list until I get there :-/

>> http://www.goodgnus.org/2010/02/cool-arduino-projects/
>
> That's a good Arduino link, thanks.

No worries - I had great fun discovering them all :-)

  - Richard