[Nottingham] Arduino hardware ideas

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue May 4 18:41:05 UTC 2010

On 04/05/10 19:00, Richard Smedley wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>> Relay Computer
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDRlKpLc-9E
>
> I'd not seen that one, but I have often thought about
> this one:
> http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~harry/Relay/

Pretty impressive. Slight cheat there in that he's using a static-RAM
silicon chip for the memory. Even so, spectacular effort!

Why is it such geekie stuff is often lost in some bedroom somewhere...?

> Building something like this with a primary school
> would be a great way to get kids interested in
> computers at an early age, and to understand
> they're not just unfathomable beige boxen :-)

I very much agree.

Unfortunately from my experiences, the hardest part will be to get the
teachers educated enough and motivated enough to even dare touch such a
thing... There's far too much bewilderment, fright and confusion about
operating PCs let alone anything computingly different to that...

> --
> http://www.goodgnus.org/2010/02/cool-arduino-projects/

That's a good Arduino link, thanks.

martin at ml1.co.uk