[Nottingham] Zero-PHP wiki!?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue May 18 12:35:41 UTC 2010

Folks,

Not that I'm anti-php or anti-database but I've just been reminded of a
few conversations lately bemoaning the insecurity of php and the
sluggishness of website abused databases. Some of the combinations are a
right royal mess in the back end!... And vulnerable and as slow as
treacle with it.

Why cannot a web page be displayed ALWAYS more quickly than 0.5s?

So... For a wiki-esq website (NLUG even?), would the following scheme
work well instead?...

1:

Keep the main public website as *static* web pages only served from a
(ramfs even?) file system;

2:

Use php (or whatever favoured programming) to add/delete/update those
static pages;

3:

Use "username - password - digestkey" to restrict access to the php
pages that modify the wiki (ok, could sneak in a minimal database for
that bit).

Thoughts?

Already done?

Anyone done anything similar?