[Nottingham] Zero-PHP wiki!?

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Tue May 18 14:23:17 UTC 2010

Interesting discussion. Sluggishness and security are two different
considerations. Small sites should be able to tolerate many sorts of
inefficiencies without becoming sluggish. When scaling to larger sites
it becomes more of an issue and things should be optimised more
carefully. So for a small site I'd be tempted to go as standard as
possible and reduce risk that way. I would imagine there would be more
bugs in a bespoke python CGI solution than a standard mediawiki
installation...

Don't large sites use server side caching and / or load sharing as the
main strategy for performance improvement?

I think the largest problem for publicly writable sites is spam, I
would worry first about a spam avoidance strategy and then about
security / performance.

-Cam