[Nottingham] Zero-PHP wiki!?

Mike Cardwell nlug at lists.grepular.com
Tue May 18 15:13:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, 18 May 2010 13:35:27 +0100, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> Not that I'm anti-php or anti-database but I've just been reminded of a
> few conversations lately bemoaning the insecurity of php and the
> sluggishness of website abused databases. Some of the combinations are a
> right royal mess in the back end!... And vulnerable and as slow as
> treacle with it.
>
> Why cannot a web page be displayed ALWAYS more quickly than 0.5s?

If you're using CGI PHP, then you'll have the overhead of loading a PHP
interpreter each time there's a single HTTP request. Make sure you're using
mod_php or suphp or similar. I code my websites in Perl but I make sure I
use FastCGI to get rid of the Perl startup overhead. Makes a huge
difference.

It's a good idea to implement mod_deflate and mod_expires if you're using
Apache too. Oh, and minify your CSS/JS.

--
Mike Cardwell - Perl/Java/Web developer, Linux admin, Email admin
Read my tech Blog -              https://secure.grepular.com/