[Nottingham] SCART Ground Loop (50 Hz Buzz)

James Holland modestforagenius at gmail.com
Fri May 21 05:40:02 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,
Just got my shiny new 32" TV, and was trying to watch a DVD yesterday
connected with a SCART cable (yes, I know, but we blew all the budget on the
TV!)
I say "tried to watch" because there was a constant 50 Hz buzz coming from
the TV speakers. It increased when I turned the volume up, and
interestingly, got louder the brighter the picture was on the screen (more
white = louder buzz).
It's not a cheap SCART cable, it's old but well shielded, chunky with strong
pins.

I think this may be an issue to do with a ground loop?
How would I go about determining what isn't earthed properly?
How would I earth it anyway?

Eagerly anticipating your expert opinions!

--
Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more
like?