[Nottingham] Hints, tips and err... errors ;-)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 11:03:31 UTC 2010

On 10/11/10 10:31, Roger Light wrote:
>> rm doesn't have a Gentoo-esq "p" for 'practice'...
>
> I alias rm to "rm -I" (that's a capital i), which the man page
> describes as "prompt once before removing more than three files, or
> when removing recursively.  Less intrusive than -i, while still giving
> protection against most mistakes".  Useful even if you aren't doing a
> recursive delete.

The Mandriva default is to alias rm to "rm -i" for similar effect but
for every one file. Dangerous when you move over to a system that hasn't
got that aliased!

> My favourite mistake of old, which generally doesn't seem to be a
> problem any more was trying to restart the ssh server whilst connected
> via ssh.

Also, I still rather like the Shorewall ADMINISABSENTMINDED:

ADMINISABSENTMINDED=[Yes|No]
           The value of this variable affects Shorewall´s stopped state.
When ADMINISABSENTMINDED=No, only traffic to/from those addresses listed
in shorewall-routestopped[4](5)
           is accepted when Shorewall is stopped. When
ADMINISABSENTMINDED=Yes, in addition to traffic to/from addresses in
shorewall-routestopped[4](5), connections that were
           active when Shorewall stopped continue to work and all new
connections from the firewall system itself are allowed. If this
variable is not set or is given the empty
           value then ADMINISABSENTMINDED=No is assumed.

That and the ssh fix has indeed on a few occasions saved me a late night
trip to some remote server across town or even further afield!

martin at ml1.co.uk