[Nottingham] NLUG new website: Comments #02

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Oct 12 22:03:20 UTC 2010

On 12/10/10 18:28, Mat Booth wrote:
> On 12 October 2010 18:06, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> After a few days to play and muse, my thoughts are:

>> I very much like the idea of a new custom Wordpress theme for our group
[---]

>> Good design for keeping simple and clear.
>>
>> Are there colours that aid power saving on LED monitors or laptops?
>>

>> What is the minimum feature set that we want?
>>
>> I think the must haves are:
[---]

>> Looks like the sort of standard panels available from a number of
[---]

>> This was just a first try "quick look-see" that worked far better than I
>> was expecting. Good clean theme but...
[---]

> I'm afraid I like the high-contrast, green-on-black one the least. The
> other two don't really offend me at all ;-)

Non-offending is a very good start!

> Tangentially: About bloggy-type features of the CMS...
>
> Are you thinking that the NLUG site would be a blog in and of itself
> where members of the LUG can post LUG/Linux/OSS related items?

I wasn't but /could/ be. I'd rather the site be a blog and events list
purely for and about /NLUG/ ...

I think a links page to other sites for members blogs would be a very
good idea.

I hope people can contribute for the group for 'technical' and 'how-to'
pages so that it becomes a useful everyday resource for all things Linux
and computing.

> Is it possible to aggregate externally hosted LUG members' blogs so
> that they appear in the same feed as the main NLUG blog? [1]
>

> [1] Like what PlanetPlanet does: http://www.planetplanet.org/

If that can be put in, yes. If Wordpress doesn't already support that,
then I'm sure we can hack the php!

martin at ml1.co.uk