[Nottingham] Google unbeatable? Absolute power corrupts?

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Sun Oct 24 15:57:09 UTC 2010

On 22/10/10 16:56, Matthew Tompsett wrote:
> Most phones with App Stores require an account to be made before apps
> can be downloaded using the store. iPhone's App Store requires this and
> Nokia's Ovi Store are well (the Ovi account includes mail and other
> services like Google, not sure about Apple)

Nokia is much better. If you want to spend money with Nokia or use their
shitty Ovi cloud services then you need an Ovi account.

Since there are loads of [good] F/LOSS applications that I can install
straight away from the "app store" (otherwise known as package
manager!), I've had an N900 for a year now and not bothered to get an
Ovi account.

All my mail is on my own IMAP servers and just works with the mail
client, my calendar is google calendar and syncs with the devices plugin

Nokia are strategically stupid to try to keep Maemo/Meego right to the
their chest, but their platform definitely preferable to Android for
anyone who cares about technology.