[Nottingham] [Talk] *Tomorrow* Wednesday 01/09/2010 Hints 'n' tips, & Graphics

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 12:26:36 UTC 2010

On 31/08/10 12:56, Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We're at the Nav still. They've got "New Management" (Darren!) and a
> goodly selection of beer again. Plus all the usual largers...
>

> Hints 'n' tips, & Graphics

OK, so they're only just getting the beer in ready for Friday, so it was
larger again for me. The muzak was much better than previously and they
were very happy to turn it down which did attract in a few more people
during the evening...

We had a select turn out and as it turned out the Hints 'n' Tips only
got brief mention as we went straight into graphics files, disk
forensics, backups, tapes vs HDDs and disk arrays (tapes lost out?), and
various other bits 'n' pieces. Good fun and all rather interesting.

A warm welcome to Dennis. Any links to any details for your African
school IT setup using Linux thin clients and a 3G VPN with NoMachine to
a data centre host for hitting the web?...

NoMachine:
http://www.nomachine.com/

The links I promised are:

Medieval helpdesk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUQRbqc2qtY

Rather amusing...

That one is very well done in that it runs through the typical scenario
that is repeated many times every day for every IT helpdesk. There must
be a better way! Educate the users better? Make the technology more
intuitive?

The clincher is that the automatic help is in the same inaccessible
format that the poor user is trying to get help to access in the first
place! If only they had the inane knowledge to hit "F1" (whatever that
is) and then already understood the subject to then be able to make
sense of the arcane inscriptions... Or perhaps they should just pray?

Hitler, as "Downfall" producer, orders a DMCA takedown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzUoWkbNLe8

More details of the ongoing story are given on:

http://ideas.4brad.com/hitler-tries-dmca-takedown

and

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/04/everyone-who-s-made-hitler-parody-leave-room

You could make a film out of it! But wait...

Next meet is a foodie social at Fat Cats 15/09/2010.

And this is a month of a Beeston Blue Moon! Further details at a later
phase...

martin at ml1.co.uk