[Nottingham] Tweaking the orientation flag in a jpeg

Graham Dicker graham.dicker at antecor.com
Sat Sep 4 08:33:43 UTC 2010

On Friday 03 September 2010 17:33:52 Martin wrote:
> On 03/09/10 12:20, Martin wrote:

> Graham: Can you add a note to the list to say why it's needed for your
> camera files? (So that Google can pick it up from the archives for
> others to use...)

Sure

The camera is a Fujifilm 2800Z (and probably applies to other early models).
If a photo is taken while holding the camera rotated 90 degrees (or 180 or
270) the question arises as to whether (and how) to rotate the jpeg image so
that it can be viewed on the computer screen the right way up. It is also
desirable to (a) retain all the metadata and (b) use lossless rotation and (c)
have the Fujifilm software (FinePixViewer) display all the metadata and show
the image the right way up.

The options are:-
1) Rotate the image in FinePixViewer. This guarantees retaining all the
metadata but the rotation is not lossless.

2) Rotate the image using 3rd party lossless rotation software. Even though
the metadata appears to be preserved (when inspected via third party
software), the metadata as viewed with FinePixViewer is almost always severely
truncated.

Just tweaking the orientation byte directly is just so much simpler and loses
no information at any stage and if I wanted to I can even put it back to its
original setting anytime.

Graham