[Nottingham] USB flash drives?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Sep 7 22:01:19 UTC 2010

On 07/09/10 21:11, stripes wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I need to get a few USB flash drives in the 4-8GB range, possibly
> 16GB.  Any advise on quality and speed?...

With memory sticks you pretty much take your chances, even for the
'expensive' ones. For any one brand, you could well be getting any of
any mix of controllers and flash being used, and that can randomly
change even within the same brand.

So far, anecdotally, I've had best results from "Intenso" memory sticks.

The only failure I've had has been with an early "Super Talent" memory
stick which went read-only on me.

An old question: Is there any USB sleuthing that can be done to identify
the chips being used, short of opening up the casing?

martin at ml1.co.uk