[Nottingham] Deleting virtual CD drive from Western Digital USB HDD

Simon Sleaford simon.sleaford at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 14:02:31 UTC 2010

On 9 September 2010 14:06, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> On 09/09/10 13:42, Simon Sleaford wrote:
> > Hi Martin
> >
> > This is the results of the command:
> >
> > *simon at 106602-1004:~$ ls -lh /dev/sd* /dev/sr**
> > *brw-rw----  1 root disk   8,  0 2010-09-09 10:54 /dev/sda*
> > *brw-rw----  1 root disk   8,  1 2010-09-09 10:52 /dev/sda1*
> > *brw-rw----  1 root disk   8,  2 2010-09-09 10:54 /dev/sda2*
> > *brw-rw----  1 root disk   8,  5 2010-09-09 10:52 /dev/sda5*
> > *brw-rw----  1 root disk   8, 16 2010-09-09 12:53 /dev/sdb*
> > *brw-rw----  1 root disk   8, 17 2010-09-09 12:53 /dev/sdb1*
> > *brw-rw----  1 root disk   8, 32 2010-09-09 11:09 /dev/sdc*
> > *brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11,  0 2010-09-09 13:19 /dev/sr0*
> > *brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11,  1 2010-09-09 12:53 /dev/sr1*
> > *simon at 106602-1004:~$ *
> >

> > As you can see it sees it as a cdrom drive but it's actually on Western
> > Digital Passport USB hard drive. ...
>
> Are sdb,sdb1,sdc and sr0,sr1 the same one physical device?... Or is sr0
> a real "cdrom" device?
>
>  sdb and sdb1 are the same device, ie the USB hard drive. sr0 is my cd-rom
drive (I checked it with the eject command) and sr1 is the "virtual" CD
drive that is mounted when I plug in the drive.

> > there and don't have anywhere to copy it to.
>
> Eeek... You must always keep a safe backup somewhere. That includes a
> backup-of-your-backup if you are doing dubious things to your backup!
>
> This is my backup drive. I've got the live data at home on a laptop, the
files on this drive are the backups of my wife's photos etc. Most likely, I
daren't delete them in case she has decided she wants to free up space at
home knowing she has backups. I've got another drive at home that I can plug
into my router for further backups when I get round to it, I guess I should
make the effort!

> > I knows it's only a single gigabyte out of 320GB but I'm a bit annoyed
> > that Western Digital decided that I would like their software in a
> > difficult to remove partition on my drive.
>
> Manufacturer coercion is rather annoying. It's also annoying to know
> that you can't make full utilisation of whatever device... Mmmm...
> Perhaps that's why we have the FOSS and FSF evangelists?!
>

> Which partition does your backup data appear on?

My data is on /dev/sdb1