[Nottingham] An attack through Firefox?

Ron Wilton ron_w_add at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 29 08:50:20 UTC 2011

Sorry

http://freescannerdefeformation should read http://freescannerdefeformationcne

--- On Fri, 29/4/11, Ron Wilton <ron_w_add at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

From: Ron Wilton <ron_w_add at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: [Nottingham] An attack through Firefox?
To: "Notts GNU/Linux Users Group" <nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Date: Friday, 29 April, 2011, 9:36

Hello

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my desktop computer.

I've just done a Google search using Mozilla Firefox (3.6.16). Instead of getting a Google page I have got http://freescannerdefeformation saying 'Your Computer in infected' and a list of 9 infections. The page in Firefox shows up as a Windows page with the tab saying 'Windows Security'.

Also, there is s box wanting me to open 'AntiSpyWareSetup.exe. I have neither asked for this software to be downloaded and I've NOT downloaded this.

I've turned the computer off, and restarted it. The above security message comes up again when I try to start Firefox. I've taken the desktop off line and am now using my netbook.

I've done a search on 'freescannerdefeformationcne' and nothing comes up.

Can anyone advise me of what is happening, please?

I know not to download
 the software they appear to want me to do, but how do I stop this page coming up when I start up Firefox.

Thanks

Ron

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----