[Nottingham] Android Google Maps wants access to EVERYTHING?!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 09:25:43 UTC 2011

On 11 August 2011 08:04, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/08/11 22:14, Martin wrote:
>> ... So why does it require full access to everything without
>> restriction? For example, why would it want to make a phone call for
>> you?!... Or modify your address book or even want to read that in the
>> first place?
[---]

> Who are Google users?  Companies.
> What is Google's product?  You.

Very true, and Google are very good at that. Rather worrying how
people are being sucked in dreaming. Especially so for also including
all friends and associates regardless of whether they are aware or
not.

A deeper question is whether that matters or not...

(Personalised spam is one so far minor example from pilfered address books.)

> Solution?  Err...OpenStreetmap?  But if you want some "normal"
> functionality, it's going to need read access to some stuff (e.g. 1 and 2)

Mmmm... It's all a lot more than just offering an old-style map.
Eeee... I still use those old paper things along with a good piece of
compass iron and the MK1 eyeball-brain combination!

> just use app "LBE Privacy"

Thanks, I'll give that a look.

I just hope that Google isn't falling into the same trap as Microsoft
for offering promiscuous permissiveness that becomes too vulnerable to
abuse...