[Nottingham] In the market for a new router?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:39:18 UTC 2011

On 01/12/11 19:04, Benjamin Crowe wrote:
> So I'm currently looking for a router which will be able to support 4 or
> more computers at once with out much problems.
I have an ageing Belkin DSL g-router I'll be willing to give away in a
week or so (someone else on the list does have dibs, but I've not heard
back from them), but I think you'll need to reboot it at least once a
day as well.  A common fault with low-end routers I am afraid.

Most decent routers will do b/g/n and simply negotiate the speed
(slowest connection is common denominator).  Something that OpenWRT or
Tomato can be chucked on to is probably a good idea as you can probably
get past any NAT limitations and run a VPN etc.  If you want, that is.

As for ports, desktop switches can be had for cheap so that gets around
the problem of only 4 ports on the back.

Brand?  No everyone will have horror stories about any brand you care to
mention.  I'd just steer clear of the budget ranges (e.g. Belkin), maybe
Netgear?  The router I use now is a re-branded Netgear and despite
having the worst web UI possible, it works well enough (2 PCs plugged in
most of the day).

--
Jason Irwin