[Nottingham] Web page graphs/charts

Nicholas Shanks nickshanks at nickshanks.com
Sat Dec 3 11:07:56 UTC 2011

On 29 Nov 2011, at 17:13, Martin wrote:

> Rather than posting a fixed-size fixed resolution jpg/png image of a
> graph plot, is there a way to display graphs/charts that scale to
> whatever browser window or page size a user has the page displayed at?

I have looked at many graphing options for my company's intranet web app.
I had the restriction that the library I chose had to be free for commercial use, and not to have external dependancies (i.e. library must run on our own server).

I initially started with SVGGraph, a PHP library:
http://www.goat1000.com/svggraph.php
This now forms the fallback to a jQuery & (ex)canvas-based solution using flot:
http://code.google.com/p/flot/
(fallback for those that have SVG but have turned off javascript, which is basically amounts to just one of my colleagues)
I still need to find something to generate fallback images (like google charts can:
http://code.google.com/apis/chart/interactive/docs/more_charts.html ) but works without an internet connection.

I used this to help identify some options:
http://www.splashnology.com/article/15-awesome-free-javascript-charts/325/
An older, less useful roundup can be found here:
http://javascript.open-libraries.com/utilities/chart/20-best-javascript-charting-and-plotting-libraries/

HighCharts is the most professional, but might cost depending on your use case.
dygraphs is best for large sets (millions of data)
Google Chart Tools has com a long way since I last reviewed it, and may now be better than HighCarts.

Hope this helps
-- Nicholas.

p.s. Hello list, I'm new.