[Nottingham] ZoneMinder and camera security

James Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 13 02:01:16 UTC 2011

On 12/12/2011 09:20, Jason Irwin wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with using ZoneMinder?  It seems simple
> enough (I've played around with "motion" thus far) and offer plenty of
> scope to say "Ignore this bit of the picture, alert if motion in this
> other bit".
>
> Also, any advice on camera?  USB?  IP?  Something else?  IR - yes/no?
> Motion sensitive security lighting is going up this week, that's
> something I'll have to keep in mind when it comes to purchasing/siting
> the cams.
>
> I am giving serious consideration to fitting two on the house after a
> second attempt was made on the gas meter (this time they only got the
> regulator, seems a neighbour's dog disturbed them).
>
> And yes, we are considering a four legged intruder alarm as well.

Used it. Intel hardware all the way. Decent video card: GF8 GT at least.
Lots of RAM. Multi-core and/or multi processor. Last system I built had
2TB RAID5, 16GB matched DDR RAM, two quad core Xeons, 8600GT/512MB
video, 2 USB and 2 IP cameras, and another 16 cameras via a greymarket
Chinese Brooktree composite capture card.

The box cost just over £3,000 (without the cameras) back in 2006, and it
barely handled the job.

The AMD (SP2400 dual processor) box I built for testing fell over when I
added the second camera. Utterly useless.