[Nottingham] ZoneMinder and camera security

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 08:34:19 UTC 2011

On 13/12/11 02:01, James Moore wrote:
> Used it. Intel hardware all the way. Decent video card: GF8 GT at least.
> Lots of RAM. Multi-core and/or multi processor. Last system I built had
> 2TB RAID5, 16GB matched DDR RAM, two quad core Xeons, 8600GT/512MB
> video, 2 USB and 2 IP cameras, and another 16 cameras via a greymarket
> Chinese Brooktree composite capture card.
Yowzah.  That's 18 more cameras and compute than I was considering!

Had a look at prices for kit on Amazon and am not sure if I am that
angry with the thieving sods (HDD prices being what they are).  Although
a cheap alternative just occurred to me.  I can use an old USB to watch
a neighbour's wall (literally the wall, shouldn't be a legal issue).
Then if something trips the security light, the camera picks the
reflection up as motion and sounds an alarm.
Or maybe a little Arduino board with a light sensitive diode and bell or
something.
Or just a spring-loaded boxing glove inside the meter cabinet?

--
Jason Irwin