[Nottingham] Interesting reading

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 14:37:39 UTC 2011

I got sent this in another list and I think it makes for some interesting
reading; the PC Pro magazine staff swapped to Ubuntu for the day:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2011/02/10/live-blog-running-pc-pro-on-ubuntu/

I was expecting this to end up being yet another Linux-bashing piece, how it
isn't ready for the real world, blah-de-blah and indeed that's how it seems
to start off.  Around midday the tone changes, people are still having the
odd niggle and some things are just easier with Windows-only apps, but they
seem to be giving Ubuntu a fair shake of the stick and come out really
liking that way it does certain things.  Most of their plus points could be
made of any Linux distro I think.

They do wonder would such an experiment have been even possible in the other
direction and I think it is impressive that they just chucked Ubuntu onto
what kit they had lying around and got through the day with basically no
training (OK this is an IT rag, they should have a clue about computing).

Their negatives give some insight into perhaps why Linux distros don't see
the adoption they maybe should (Evolution and Gwibber come in for a bit of a
hammering).

As for their moans about authenticating, call me paranoid but I *like* that
feature!

J.
(Apols if this isn't the sort of thing that's expected on the listd)