No subject

Tue Feb 22 18:54:42 UTC 2011

world.

That said, I found him a little bit harsh on people choosing words he didn't
like. On the one hand, if everyone thought Ubuntu was the end-goal, we
might've settled for less, but on the other hand, his libertarianism would
be easier digested by people he's trying to convince if he didn't pick a
fight with every misspoken word or slight dissent.

All told, I'm not ditching Mint, but I am certainly feeling more compelled
to drag out programs I've written in the last few years and put them on
SourceForge for anyone else to have a crack at, and to contact the school
about reconsidering their policy of students only being allowed to put
Windows & OSX machines on their network (any maybe even including something
in syllabus!)

Dan

On 25 August 2011 11:07, Rory Holland <rory at linux.com> wrote:

> Hi, the recording is available at
> http://www.ustream.tv/channel/richard-stallman-free-software-and-your-freedombut I haven't trimmed the rubbish off the beginning yet.
>
> I agree his rooms are extreme, but we do need someone like him pulling us
> in the right direction.
>

> On 25 August 2011 11:05, Barry Drake <ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi there ....  i thoroughly enjoyed hearing RMS last night.  He is one of
>> the most entertaining speakers I have ever heard.  I knew he held extreme
>> views which I respect and understand, but I think he is damaging the overall
>> cause through his absolutism.  People (maybe especially people in government
>> etc) are antagonised by zealots.  The compromising that Ubuntu does makes it
>> far far easier for folk like me to make converts.  Richard and his disciples
>> seem to close doors - especially when they storm the gates of hardware
>> manufacturers.
>>
>> Just wondered how others feel about this issue?  Some folk need to make a
>> living, as Martin pointed out in one of his questions.
>>
>> BTW, is there a recording available?  I'd like a friend to hear the talk.
>>
>> Regards,        Barry.
>>
>> --
>> Barry Drake is a member of the the Ubuntu Advertising team.
>> http://ubuntuadverts.org/

--0015176f03ccdcd66b04ab523317

Last night was fantastic experience - I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve ever heard=
s that I&#39;d not understood previously (like the driving force behind cre=
ating the GPL), and introduced me to a few paths of reasoning that I hadn&#=
39;t considered before.=A0</div>
e bit harsh on people choosing words he didn&#39;t like. On the one hand, i=
f everyone thought Ubuntu was the end-goal, we might&#39;ve settled for les=
s, but on the other hand, his libertarianism would be easier digested by pe=
ople he&#39;s trying to convince if he didn&#39;t pick a fight with every m=
isspoken word or slight dissent.</div>
 feeling more compelled to drag out programs I&#39;ve written in the last f=
ew years and put them on SourceForge for anyone else to have a crack at, an=
d to contact the school about reconsidering their policy of students only b=
eing allowed to put Windows &amp; OSX machines on their network (any maybe =
even including something in syllabus!)</div>
ote">On 25 August 2011 11:07, Rory Holland <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D=
 class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc soli=
d;padding-left:1ex;">
Hi, the recording is available at <a href=3D"http://www.ustream.tv/channel/=
richard-stallman-free-software-and-your-freedom" target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.ustream.tv/channel/richard-stallman-free-software-and-your-freedom</a> b=
ut I haven&#39;t trimmed the rubbish off the beginning yet.<br>

ass=3D"gmail_quote">On 25 August 2011 11:05, Barry Drake <span dir=3D"ltr">=
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com" target=3D"_blank">ubuntu-=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi there .... =A0i thoroughly enjoyed hearin=
g RMS last night. =A0He is one of the most entertaining speakers I have eve=
r heard. =A0I knew he held extreme views which I respect and understand, bu=
t I think he is damaging the overall cause through his absolutism. =A0Peopl=
e (maybe especially people in government etc) are antagonised by zealots. =
=A0The compromising that Ubuntu does makes it far far easier for folk like =
me to make converts. =A0Richard and his disciples seem to close doors - esp=
ecially when they storm the gates of hardware manufacturers.<br>

Just wondered how others feel about this issue? =A0Some folk need to make a=
 living, as Martin pointed out in one of his questions.<br>
BTW, is there a recording available? =A0I&#39;d like a friend to hear the t=
alk.<br>
Regards, =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Barry.<br>
-- <br>
Barry Drake is a member of the the Ubuntu Advertising team.<br>
s.org/</a><br>
a><br>
Nottingham mailing list<br>
.uk</a><br>