[Nottingham] Hi all!

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 16:19:28 UTC 2011

I just thought I'd punt out a quick email to introduce myself.  So, hi.

My names Jason and all being well I hope to be down in Nottingham by month
end.  I've been trying to get to grips with Linux for a while now and can
poke my way around some parts easily enough.  I hope to get into more
interesting stuff once the move is over as I am sick to the back teeth with
my XP box (the current media/dev work-horse) and I'd love to get Myth etc
running, maybe even a few lower-level things like a VPN.  So expect lots of
questions about trans-coding, file systems and routers in the future.  J

My day job is a Java developer for a software house doing document
management, business automation and the like.  We make some use of
virtualisation and that's something else I'd like to look at more closely.
I'm convinced my Ubuntu box runs images faster than the Win7 one.  Maybe I
am just biased.

At the moment my biggest headache is about broadband providers.  Virgin seem
to offer good speeds, but are far more expensive than O2 (which can give me
a static IP and an international calling package).  The worry for me with O2
is VPN problems, as I will be telecommuting VPN is vital and I have seen
lots of reports of them not allowing/breaking VPN access.  Anyone have
experience of either?

Cheers,

J.