[Nottingham] Android update kills USB internet tether?!

Richard Hodgson rich at dearinternet.com
Sun Jan 30 23:20:04 UTC 2011

As far as I know, the phone doesn't 'phone home' with its OS version; OTA
updates aren't enabled on custom ROMs, at least not automatically, as far as
I know.

You will have to update yourself if you want to upgrade to future Android
versions, but they're usually pretty well maintained, Nandroid backups make
it easy to revert if anything goes wrong, and apps like Titanium Backup (buy
the paid version to reap the benefits of autoinstalling your backups without
prompts from the Android installer, it's absolutely worth it) make backing
up and restoring apps if you have to wipe before flashing a breeze :)