[Nottingham] Android update kills USB internet tether?!

Steve Caddy steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 31 09:11:17 UTC 2011

On 30/01/11 21:50, Martin wrote:

> USB tethering has been deliberately blocked by some/all mobile phone
> operators?

Tethering can't be blocked at a network level, because it's just a data call
from the phone. I assume your phone can still access the internet via the
mobile network without any issue?

The first thing that came to my mind was that the update might have nuked the
APN settings.

The next thing to try is tether in a different location - you might have hit
upon a base station that needs its data gateway kicking in the control box
(data and voice calls are handled differently by the network). I've had this
one using a GSM modem dongle on O2 - connected to the network, but wouldn't
transfer any data - stick my Vodafone SIM from my Blackberry in it, and all
was well (after changing the APN settings, of course).

Have you tried switching between 2G and 3G to see if one or the other works?
(which would also identify a possible network problem)

Hope that helps. I think rooting the device is a bit extreme, and would
probably invalidate any warranty on the device.

Steve

--
Email: steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com