[Nottingham] VirtualBox

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 10:11:15 UTC 2011

On 16/07/11 19:25, James Moore wrote:
> mostly from the
> viewpoint of solving compatibility issues with older programs and device
> drivers (I have a scanner that's portable and bus powered that doesn't
> work in win7 and barely in XP so I'll be going with 98SE with that one,
> and my mum's iphone when she brings that down I'll be accessing in as
> close to native an environment as I can (Mac OS X)).

The only issue I have ever had with VBox is poor support for peripherals
(especially via USB).  I am told things have improved a lot in the
recent version (4.0.12 just landed) but I have not had cause to use them
yet.

> As data goes, I need to find a way of running a common data partition
> that doesn't require a ghost network driver and a mapped network share,
> as this knocks my wireless out :x

You can share folder from the host with the guest, these appear to the
guest as normal network shares and are the mapping is handled by the
guest additions installed in the VM.  It works well and avoids all that
mucking around with actual network shares.

--
Jason Irwin