[Nottingham] NLUG: What's in a name?

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 10 21:38:51 UTC 2011

On 10/06/11 15:38, Martin wrote:
> For my own opinion:
>
> I'm feeling that the "GNU" part, even with it's vital great
> significance and greater history, has been eclipsed by the critical
> significance of the GPL, FSF and "copyleft". GNU and the GNU tool
> chain are still a vital part of a 'bundle' that we generally describe
> as Linux, but also times move on

I've run the GNU Operating System for a while now.
Usually with a Linux kernel, although I have tried
most of the others. Sometimes I run other
software on top of it :-)

To me, referring to a LUG for "GNU/Linux users" (or,
puzzlingly, "`Linux' users") seems a little restrictive.
How about:

``Nottingham LUG is a Local User Group for all people
interested in Free (& Open Source) Software, from
Operating Dystems like Android and Ubuntu GNU/Linux
to great desktop software like Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird
and OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice,

``The key is Freedom to enjoy, modify, share and improve:
as such many members are also involved with Open Hardware
<link to hackspace> and creating or modifying Creative Commons-
licensed works, and making a more open world''

Short version:
``NLUG - for Free & Open Software, hackable hardware & creative
sharing'' :-)

Just my 2penn'orth - perhaps discountable as I'm not
working in Nottingham any more ;^)

 - Richard
--
http://twitter.com/RichardSmedley