[Nottingham] NLUG: What's in a name?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Jun 14 14:11:48 UTC 2011

Richard,

On 10 June 2011 22:26, Richard Smedley <smedley358 at btinternet.com> wrote:
[---]

> I've run the GNU Operating System for a while now.
> Usually with a Linux kernel, although I have tried
> most of the others. Sometimes I run other
> software on top of it :-)
>
> To me, referring to a LUG for "GNU/Linux users" (or,
> puzzlingly, "`Linux' users") seems a little restrictive.
> How about:
>
> ``Nottingham LUG is a Local User Group for all people
> interested in Free (& Open Source) Software, from
> Operating Dystems like Android and Ubuntu GNU/Linux
> to great desktop software like Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird
> and OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice,
>
> ``The key is Freedom to enjoy, modify, share and improve:
> as such many members are also involved with Open Hardware
> <link to hackspace> and creating or modifying Creative Commons-
> licensed works, and making a more open world''
>

> Short version:
> ``NLUG - for Free & Open Software, hackable hardware & creative
> sharing'' :-)

Good thoughts and along the lines I think we want. I'm still
deliberating as to how to best present the present state of play
without underplaying the past but yet not scaring off or confusing
newcomers. Encouraging newcomers is as important for the group as is
our more general rag-chews and computer talk.

> Just my 2penn'orth - perhaps discountable as I'm not
> working in Nottingham any more ;^)

Any and all connections, past and present are all equally valid :-)