[Nottingham] A wry combo: nspluginwrapper fixed and Adobe Updates for Multiple Vulnerabilities

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 11:48:12 UTC 2011

Folks,

A little bit of a wry combination on certain maillists this morning:

"nspluginwrapper has been updated to 1.3.x and now to 1.4.x, i.e. it
has a new upstream maintainer http://nspluginwrapper.davidben.net

For the first time in probably 2-3years, the 32bit Adobe Flash player
seemed to work for me in a 64bit browser (I tested firefox and
konqueror).

So give it a shot."

And...

"... vulnerabilities could allow a remote attacker to execute
arbitrary code, write arbitrary files or folders to the file system,
escalate local privileges, or cause a denial of service on an affected
system as the result of a user opening a malicious PDF file.

If a user opens specially crafted Shockwave content, a remote attacker
may be able to execute arbitrary code.

If a user opens specially crafted Flash content, a remote attacker may
be able to execute arbitrary code."

Expect a few updates to roll out soon!

Two interesting points apart from the lamentable continuous stream of
security vulnerabilities from such 3rd party code:

1: Linux is prominently detailed in the US-CERT alert. Normally, they
are 'Windows-only';

2: Perhaps users are more vulnerable to dodgy applications rather than
actual OS vulnerabilities...

Anyhow, for a document reader and media player, what in cyberland is
that application doing running arbitrary code in the first place? Is
not a document merely static data that is merely read and displayed
(and *never* to be 'executed')?... ;-) ( <-- An evil winkie! :-) )

Aside: Also notice the use of "GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)". Linux hits
the great US-of-A?