[Nottingham] rtl8191se wireless issues

gadgetpat gadget.pat at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 23 14:05:55 UTC 2011

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply.
> Someone has got this working on Fedora 15
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=264063&highlight=rtl8191sevb
Yep, I have seen and tried this...

> I know you're on Fedora, but this Ubuntu thread contains a lot of info.
Didnt't try the hit and miss solutions in this thread as I didn't want
to make the problem worse as the card is working and you can scan
networks.  It just won't connect to any.
> Looks like someone has a script that might do the trick (prolly for Fedora
> 14 though, so may not work on 15)
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/rtl8192
> se-driver-install-for-rtl8191sevb-wireless-adapter-861436/
This is THE script that got it to work as it is now.  I couldn't find
the link to this after I shut the pc down but I remebered how to run the
script and so could the card up and running again if I needed to.
> And I am going to guess you've been to those already, so I'll shut up now
> and let someone who knows what they're talking about help.
>
> I know Edimax do Linux compatible N-band USB wireless dongles (e.g.
> EW-7711UAN) for about £10-12.  That might be the easy way out for now.
>
> J.
I appreciate all the help given so thanks again.  The option to buy a
usb card is not an option though.  I would like the wireless on the
(expensive to me) laptop to work so will keep trying.

pat