[Nottingham] Considering the last talk...

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Sun May 1 07:05:36 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 1:34 AM, stripes <stripes at roppa.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I also tend to think that if someone hacks into a secured router to
> upload porn the police are going to cause you a lot more grief than if
> your router was open.

I'm sure there are some good quips about civilization needing laws
(amongst other things) but I thought the above was an interesting
point.

I imagine in either case (secured or open) any grief would be
dependent on evidence being found that you were involved - after a
thorough inspection of your hardware. If having all your computer
equipment confiscated is a problem though, you'll get 'grief' in
either case. I could probably get by without the computers in the
short term but I'd really want my collection of photos back unharmed,
and if my work laptop was taken that might take some explaining...

I secure my wifi for the same reason I lock my shed, I don't
particularly want to share my traceable fixed IP address with
neighbours or passers-by any more than I want them to 'borrow' my bike
or mower! I wouldn't lend them my drivers licence or passport either!

-Cam