[Nottingham] Writing Linux Kernel Functions In CUDA With KGPU

Sergiusz Pawlowicz sergiusz at pawlowicz.name
Sun May 8 11:22:12 UTC 2011

> For example:
>
> Given a multi-user server, could a malicious user (or just an
> inquisitive student/academic) eavesdrop on another user by monitoring
> the GPU VRAM that is used as workspace for other users?...

nope, they will watch your keyboard :-) i still do not see how they
can monitor gpu ram? if they could install any software with your
privileges or root privileges, they rather prefer read the disk
content directly, not through monitoring ram? or you mean a multi-user
environment, which is rather unlikely on desktops or servers in the
cloud? if multi-user, a can agree, that graphics driver may be not
investigated enough from this side.

> And does SELINUX control/monitor beyond just file access rights?

nope, but selinux deployment is mostly enough to protect information

> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTQxMQ

unfortunately suggested open driver has maybe 10% of possibilities,
and of course it is a pity, but it is not related to any security
problems, until we think there is a backdoor in nvidia code. but if
there is a backdoor, there maybe a backdoor in an intel processors as
well.

in summary, i will use this encryption, as although i have an open
network, my linux boxes are very pretty protected, including firewall
and encryption of all filesystems. i am just waiting when they deploy
dm-crypt apart of existing encryption.

btw, it is really funny to follow your discussion about hypothetical
flaws, as i am almost sure, you do not use any encryption at all :-)
;-)

s.