[Nottingham] Fwd: Reply to your e-mail of 14.04.2011- our ref. COMP/C-3/12.05.2011/HT.2382-Bundle 2011/048507

James of the family Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Sun May 22 13:41:10 UTC 2011

It's cheaper these days (both in the short and long-terms) to buy a
single box with multiple cores* than it is to buy say, 12 single or
dual core older machines and try and cluster them. There're one-stop
solutions in Linux for clustering, having said that, that are
self-configuring - all you need to do is point to the correct subnet
for the cluster, even Windows 7 has clustering via the server options.

*Opteron 6174 12-core chip with HT: £1042
(http://thecomputershop.x2tek.co.uk/product/AMD-OPTERON-6174-SKT-G34-RETAIL_33367.html)
board: £320 (takes up to 256GB RAM)
(http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=socket+g34+motherboard&cid=16645119954584938725&os=tech-specs)
(and yes, it will take two chips - that's 24 cores!)
4GB DDR3: £26 each (tho I'd go for something like 2 or 3 (nothing like
a couple spare sticks in case things go South) Patriot Viper 24GB
kits, OK it's more at £266 per kit (or £45 a stick) but it's a:
obscenely fast and b: matched)
DVD/case/PSU/fans: £100

--
Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

The working of all great organisation there is underground - it is
easy enough to meet plot by counterplot, to suborn, to deceive, to
undermine. - E. P. Oppenheim

http://thelostpacket.wordpress.com