[Nottingham] Dual boot GRUB woes on RAID

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon May 23 11:55:34 UTC 2011

On 23 May 2011 12:18, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:
[---]
>> His original XP drive has two partitions, that are in a RAID array, (not
> sure whether 1 or 0).
>> Anyway, he has bought an extra drive, managed to install Natty on it, at
> the moment has GRUB
>> on that second drive's MBR, so changes the boot order in the BIOS to
> switch between OS's.
>
> I’m an idiot, so my advice may be crap.

Only the blind consider themselves infallible! ;-)

> He is probably using fake-raid (some Intel trickery on the HDD controller, I
> have it and it is pretty common on home/low-end devices).  From when I did
> my research for my RAID0 set-up, I found out that GRUB *does not* like this.

A good guess I'll agree as most likely...

Rather than using the BIOS boot sequence to select between booting a
particular drive, an alternative could be to always boot from grub on
his second drive. Add into the grub menu a selection to "chain" to the
MBR on the Windows drive to then go through the Windows bootloader
there when wanted.

A quick web search should give the grub details for chaining another
bootloader/MBR. (The MBR must be accessible regardless of the
fake-RAID.)

And welcome to the list. Such questions are a good part of what the
list and group are around for!

Good luck,