[Nottingham] Dual boot GRUB woes on RAID

James of the family Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Mon May 23 13:02:25 UTC 2011

I would concur with the replies given, by adding my own experience:
that being that bootloaders generally do not like softRAID of any
description. As I was experimenting with softRAID several years ago
(on a Promise Ultra ATA 100TX/2 RAID card), I discovered that I had to
create a dead zone partition for the bootloader (ie space reserved at
the top of the partition table on each drive in the array for a
partition on one drive just for the bootloader) otherwise I could only
use the array for data.