[Nottingham] setting up GRUB and RAIDed XP

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu May 26 14:01:33 UTC 2011

Chris,

On 26 May 2011 13:32, Chris Stapleton <cstapleton_osteo at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for your replies, very useful, but due to my n00b status,
> I have little idea of how to tell GRUB to
>
> chainload the first drive, particularly when it is seeing / as on /dev/sda
> and an fdisk -l shows no other drives (fdisk /dev/sdb /-l
>
> also gave no results).

I'm assuming you have:

/dev/sda: Windows
/dev/sdb: Linux

Boot up into the Linux, and edit "/boot/grub/menu.lst" to add:

title      Windows
rootnoverify  (hd0)
chainloader  +1

... and that should be it! You'll need root access to be able to edit
that file. You should be ok to add those lines onto the very end of
the file.

If Windows was instead on the second drive, then you would also need the line:
map              (hd1) (hd0)
to make it 'look like' Windows was on the first drive. Easiest is just
to have Windows on the first partition of the first drive in any case.

No guarantees... That /should/ work... Before rebooting, make sure
that the menu.lst file is as it should be!

[---]
> moment linux doesn't know the other disk exists...is this a probing thing
> somehow to find out the right details for GRUB and /etc/fstab?

Might only be that the partition type is not recognised.

How many disks are there in his system and how is that (fake)RAID arranged?

> I'm seriously considering telling him to save an image of his whole XP disk
> onto an external drive, repartitioning the RAID to a
>
> normal unRAIDed partition and copying it back to normal - problem is I bet
> XP would fall over due to driver/hardware changes

Quite likely, especially being as an image would be an image of a RAID
partition. You can do that sort of trick with the Linux soft-raid 'md'
but anything might be being done with any manner of critical
assumptions for fake-RAID... Anyone out there know?

[---]
> p.s. - feel free to tell me if I reach the end of what might be considered
> normal allowance for questions! ;)

No problem.

Please note some people are sensitive about top posting (posting in
anti-chronological order above prior comments).

Please trim any/all previous posts to save the planet and
space-bar/page-down wear ;-)

> From: nottingham-request at mailman.lug.org.uk
> Subject: Nottingham Digest, Vol 395, Issue 4

[--- Trimmed various posts from many moons ago ---]

> (BTW: GIMP next talk ;-) )

Good luck,

Let us know what you find.