[Nottingham] Just how smart is rsync?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:12:20 UTC 2011

Something has just come up at work and (as per usual) the architects have
left it to the last second before asking for stuff.

I need to transfer an zipped 11gb VM image from the USA over the corporate
VPN by tomorrow AM.  Nice.

As luck has it, this VM image is based on the same baseline as another one
that got transferred a few days ago.  Also zipped.

If I copy that first image locally, set the name correctly and then ask my
USA colleague to begin the transfer from his end; will rsync be smart enough
to spot that large chunks of the 11gb are the same?  Or does it not do
sub-file?

Or, more likely, will having the VM image zipped up have buggered any chance
of a comparison?

I am delving into the man page and Google, but suffer from forest/trees and
needle/haystack.

Cheers,

J.